American University in Cairo
- Start Date: September, 2018
- End Date: Ongoing
- Location: Abu Ghosoun Village
- Target Group: The local residents of Abu Ghosoun and the neighboring villages
- No of Beneficiaries: 350 families (~ 1,400 local residents)
- Project Description: Water is scarce in Abu Ghosoun village. Residents usually purchase about 2 barrels of water/month. 1 barrel contains 100 liters of water, and usually costs 55 EGP. A water storage unit was established by the general support of the American University in Cairo through a development initiative funded by HSBC. The NGO now assumes the responsibility of operating this unit as a Water Bank to provide purified drinking water to the local people of the Village. The NGO is responsible for buying and storing water in five large tanks (total capacity of 50 m2). This increased the availability of purified water at the village as well as the neighboring villages. Gorgonia Beach Resort will sponsor the operation of the water bank.
- Impact: Improving the local community’s access to clean and purified drinking water.